LMM6038 Black for Smooth and Polished Metals
LMM6038, a CerMark™ product based on LMM6000, is an alternative product for creating black marks on high-polish metals such as chrome or nickel plating and high-polish stainless steel. It has been specially designed with enhanced wetting properties so as to create a uniform film over these shiny surfaces.
In general, however, it’s recommended to use LMM14 for all the substrates on which LMM6038 works, so it is not a recommended product. LMM6038’s process window is quite narrow and it is a challenging product to use. If you are an existing user and do not wish to upgrade to LMM14, you may still purchase LMM6038.
LMM6038 can be used on a variety of bare or plated metal substrates with smooth finishes or high polish surfaces. The following list is made up of substrates on which LMM6038 works.
High-polish Stainless Steel
Lasers that work:
LMM6038 works equally well with CO2 and solid state lasers.
LMM6038 will need to be diluted differently depending on how you plan to apply it.
- Air brush application: Ratio of 1:2 (1 part in volume of LMM6038, 2 parts in volume of denatured alcohol) is recommended. Please refer to your air brush manual for information about material thickness for your model type.
- Foam brush (hand) application: Ratio of 1:1 (1 part in volume of LMM6038, 1 part in volume of denatured alcohol) is recommended.
For more information on dilution, click here.
Please make sure that the surface to be marked is free and clear of oils, cleaning agent films, dust, and lacquer coating.
- Air brush application: When applying LMM6038 from an air brush, the resulting coating should be about 1 mil thick (~25 μm). Spray uniformly at a 10” distance from the surface and move the nozzle from one side to the other covering the whole substrate area. Start spraying away from the area to be marked and move towards the opposite side and past the target area. Over-spraying before and after the target area allows constant velocity of movement and will help provide an even coating on the substrate. Make sure the bare metal is not visible underneath. If necessary spray one or two more times. In general 1-2 strokes are enough to generate the desired coating.
- Foam brush (hand) application: When hand applying LMM6038 the resulting coating of LMM6038 should be 1-1.25 mils thick. Use about a 1” wide foam brush and soak less than ¼” of the brush with LMM6038. There is no need to soak more than that, otherwise the ink may splash and result in an uneven coat thickness. Apply with smooth, even strokes.
Note: Air brush application is preferred over foam brush application. It can be challenging to achieve the smooth, even coating of laser marking material necessary for optimal marks when using a foam brush. We only recommend foam brush application if you do not have an air brush or are coating a small surface area.
For more information on application, click here.
Drying time & methods:
If left to air dry, LMM6038 is normally fully dry within ~2 minutes. If air drying takes too long, however, a hair drier or forced air heater may be used to speed up the process. LMM6038 can be fully dried with an average household hair dryer in less than 25 sec.
Power and speed are the two most important variables to control when using TherMark laser marking materials with any laser, but there are other relevant variables depending on which laser you are using, such as length of lens, PPI, DPI, frequency, or hatch spacing.
LMM6038 is khaki in color and has the consistency of thick pancake batter. It should not separate upon standing, but it is still advisable to stir LMM6038 prior to use.
Once applied to the substrate and dry, LMM6038 will be a khaki color paint-like coating. It will be resistant to touching or accidental rubbing. However, it is water soluble and any contact with wet objects will smear the coating.
- All LMM6038 products are considered by the US Department of Transportation (DOT) to be “ORM-D” or “Consumer Commodity”. These products are generally shipped via ground in the contiguous United States. Products shipped via air to Hawaii or to international destinations will be subject to additional hazardous materials charges. This is due to regulations around the shipping of alcohol-based chemicals on airplanes. Please contact customer service for further details.
All LMM6038 products should be stored between 40ºF (5ºC) and 95ºF (35ºC) in a dark, dry place.
LMM6038 is an alcohol-based material. After laser bonding, any excess, un-bonded material can be washed off the substrate and down the drain into your normal water/sewer waste area.
Unused containers of liquid ink/paste should be opened, the alcohol base evaporated into a well-ventilated area, and once only solids remain in the container, the container with solids should be disposed of in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations.
LMM6038 Data Sheet